Degrees in Special Education & Communicative Disorders

The Department of Special Education & Communicative Disorders prepares special educators and speech-language pathologists to enter professional practice in today’s increasingly multicultural and multilingual society.  Candidates who seek careers in the disability field will find several degree options including: the doctorate of philosophy (PhD), master of arts, and an undergraduate minor in special education; and master of science and bachelor of arts in communicative disorders.

Minor in Special Education

The purpose of this minor is to provide undergraduate students with an overview of the field of special education and an introduction to American Sign Language. An interdisciplinary program ensures that students are exposed to a variety of courses pertaining to disability in our society.

Master of Arts (MA) in Special Education

Our MA is a degree individually designed to emphasize professional goals in research and leadership and to provide advanced preparation for careers in education, in other public and private agencies serving people with disabilities and in other related human service fields.

Joint Doctorate in Special Education

The Joint PhD is offered jointly with San Francisco State University and the University of California at Berkeley. The doctoral program prepares leaders in research, teaching, administration, advocacy, and supervision for the variety of professional needs facing people with disabilities in today’s diverse and global communities.

Master of Science (MS) in Communicative Disorders (CD) & Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential (SLPSC)

Our MS degree in CD is designed to train competent, culturally sensitive speech-language pathologists who can apply research in clinical practice. The MS in CD includes all academic and clinical experiences necessary for American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) certification in speech-language pathology, the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential, and the State of California license to practice speech-language pathology.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communicative Disorders (CD)

The BA in CD is designed to provide students with the prerequisite knowledge necessary to apply to graduate study leading to the completion of a master’s degree in speech-language pathology or doctoral study in audiology. In addition to preparing for graduate study in communicative disorders, the BA graduate may seek employment as teacher’s assistant, classroom aide, child development worker, and speech-language pathology assistant with additional intern experience beyond the undergraduate degree.